Tuesday, July 26, 2011

what's in a name?

I have a HUGE pet peeve. I HATE it when people shorten your name unless you give them the OK to do so. I always try to clarify BEFORE I shorten someone's name, and usually they are ok with it-Riss, Meg, etc. Although I HAVE slipped up in the past-I'm sorry Stephen.

Just for those of you who were ever in doubt, my name is KRISTEN. Not Kris, not Krissy, not Ten-ten.
ESPECIALLY not Kris. Most of you don't know this, but I have an older brother. His name is CRIS.

When my dad named me Kristen my mom was concerned that I would be confused with my brother, Cris. My dad said that my name would never be shortened-it would always be Kristen. And it always has been, but just so we're clear I'll reiterate:

CRIS



KRISTEN



CRIS


KRIS-TEN


And lastly for those who are still confused, this is my brother CRIS:




NOT to be confused with me, Kris-TEN:
This is the face you'll get if you call me by anything other
than Kristen.
*Too bad the people I REALLY need to say this to don't read my blog.

3 comments:

The Bakers said...

I love full names and I am the same as your dad Andrew is not Andy and not Drew he is ANDREW. Good luck in your quest :)

Most Happy Girl said...

I hope I have never unwittingly shortened your name. Kristen isn't one that I usually shorten though. When Russell and I started dating, I asked him if he preferred Russell or Russ, and he said he didn't care. But his family would always emphasis saying "Russell" whenever I'd call him Russ. I think I've asked him five or six times if he really doesn't care (and he really doesn't; in fact, he told me he likes it when I call him Russ). Just so you know, the family has stopped emphasizing "Russell". I usually try to ask people before I start shortening their names, unless I hear other people do it consistently.

You can call me Nance, but I don't answer to Nan. Ever.

Miss Megan said...

I also generally ask before I shorten names, and if I'm not sure if it's "Pete" or "Peter" I ask how they introduce themselves to people.

I always find it interesting to know who calls me by a nickname and the nickname they choose. Sometimes I feel like "Megan" IS the nickname because of the affection I know that person has for me. I love that you call me "Meg", though. Very few people, do, but there are times when I feel more of the "Meg" than a "Megan!"

I'm glad you have such a good sense of who you are, and aren't afraid to stick up for yourself. Your name suits you and I'll not call you by another!