Tuesday, March 27, 2012

a tale of two auditions

Well folks, I never thought it would happen, but it did. What, might you ask? Pull a seat up and I'll tell you. Brace yourself; I'm about to take FAR too long to tell the shortest story ever.

 Last week I did the risky move of auditioning for two shows. Two very different shows (a whimsical musical and a comedic straight play) that would be in rehearsal at the same time. After a lot of debate and persuasion from Sparky and Piano Man they convinced me to try out for both by telling me the worst thing that would happen is that I would be cast in both and have to choose. Of course this is me we're talking about so I knew that wouldn't be an issue. I must admit I would have been lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about the tiny possibility of being invited to both.

Wednesday I went to audition #1, waited 2.5 hours, missed tap, and then completely bombed. (No, this isn't an exaggeration. I was embarrassingly awful, and yes I was prepared so I can't blame it on that). I left not expecting anything, but amazingly enough I was invited to call backs on Saturday, and bombed again. The sad thing was I was more upset with myself for failing to be as good as I know I can be and for missing tap on Wednesday then I was about the fact I knew I wouldn't be getting a casting call.

After the failed callback I headed over to Audition #2. Aside from a tiny stumble during my monologue this audition went surprisingly well. They thanked me and told me I would know by Monday, so I thanked them for their time, and headed home. I have only had a feeling-that confident 'I nailed this-the role is mine' feeling after an audition twice. This audition and the callback for when I played Emily Arden in State Fair. I felt pretty confident but I tried not to get my hopes up and to not stress the rest of the weekend. (The closest thing I did to counting my eggs before they hatched was reserving a copy of the script from the library just in case.) Other than that I pretty much didn't think about it again and I didn't stress. Not. One. Bit.

Monday finally rolled around, and guess what? I got a call. The best part? It's a LEAD. Me. I finally did well enough to earn a LEADING ROLE. I will be playing Ruth in Blithe Spirit at the Empress in Magna. The more I read the script the more I love it, the cast is spectacular, and I will be working with several friends again-including Stephen! I am beyond psyched, I'm scared out of my mind, and I can't wait to start rehearsals on Saturday!

The show will run May 4-24 on Fridays, Saturdays, and Mondays. I'll post more the closer it gets, but mark your calendars now!




7 comments:

Larissa said...

EEEEEE! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gingerstar.kw said...

That is fantastic news, Kristen!!! Can't wait to see it!

S.R. Braddy said...

This play is going to be THE best ever!

KColton said...

I'm sooooo excited for you! Best news ever! I will totally come see you!

Most Happy Girl said...

Wow! That is SOOOO fantastic. What a great part. I was contemplating auditioning for Madame Arcati, but the really big news I can't announce yet (yes, still not yet) has made auditioning for shows not a reality for a little while.

(P.S. I should be able to announce mid-April.)

You are going to be GREAT! We are so coming to this!

Aaron said...

Congratulations on the leading role, and just remember that 50% is a better success rate than just about any athlete in a major sport :)

miss kristen said...

Thanks everyone. :)