Tuesday, March 20, 2012

life goes on

Four years ago today I experienced my first major loss. My Uncle Gregg passed away unexpectedly, and four years later I still can't talk about it without tearing up. Yes, I had lost grandparents before then, but with the exception of my Gramma VanderLinden I had been very young, and Grammy had been sick so although it was hard, we knew they had lived their lives and had time to adjust to what was coming. Uncle Gregg was young-only 59, so we had no reason to think he would leave us so unexpectedly. Apparently Heavenly Father decided He needed him more than we did, and that was that. It's hard to believe it's been four years because the sting is still the same, and I still have a hole in my heart with him gone. I had to double check my math because I thought it had only been three years. What a true testament that life does in fact, go on.

My Uncle Gregg is my best friend's (best-cousins as we called it growing up) dad. I spent almost as much time at their house as I did my own growing up, and as a result Uncle Gregg and Aunt Tracy became my second parents of sorts.

Uncle Gregg was a great man-he loved life, the Gospel, his family, good music, and good food. He was such a wonderful example of Christ-like love. Now I know people tend to canonize their loved ones, but he was a good good man. He and my dad were close-and I will always be grateful they had such a good relationship. They shared a kinship having both served in the Marines (Oorah!), as well as sharing a love of weird food like milk toast, liver and onions, and cheese so sharp the weak need not apply. They both always had facial hair (a beard for him, and a goatee for my pa), with the exception of when Gregg was serving in the Bishopric and he had it shaved. Man that was weird.

Gregg always greeted me with a big smile and an even bigger hug (I knew before I did anything I had to go find him and say hello otherwise I knew there would be a playful scolding for not coming to see him first), and I always liked to think he loved me as much as he did his six girls. I will always cherish the memories I have of him.

I miss him every day, and I wish we could have had him longer so Mr. Wonderful could have met him. I think they really would have liked each other. Some days (like today) are harder than others, but although I'm sad he's gone for now I'm comforted knowing I'll see him again because families are forever. How grateful I am for that knowledge!

Today I think I'll have a corned beef sandwich and some strawberry ice cream just for him. :)

1 comment:

Most Happy Girl said...

I don't think we ever "get over" something like this. We also don't "get through" it. Everything we experience will always be a part of us, so what we do is learn how to live with it.

The sweetest part of the Gospel is that relationships are eternal. That is the essence of the Gospel. Love God. Love others. It's all about relationships.

I am sorry that you lost someone so special at such a young age. Always remember him. Keep his goodness as a part of you, and you will honor him in the best way possible.