Wednesday, March 09, 2011

what a diva

Most of you know I'm a theatre geek.

Summer show season is fast approaching, and a long time ago I made a decision. Although I fully stand behind it and know it's the best decision for me I still feel like a complete and total diva for having made it.


   I have decided I am not willing to commit my time to a show if all I will be doing is ensemble. The ensemble is important, and as cliche' as it is I agree "there are no small parts only small actors", but unless it's a show I simply adore, a director I HAVE to work with, or my first time with a new theatre the ensemble just isn't for me. I've been the ensemble in shows before, and honestly, with all the time commitment involved (usually 2-4 months) I have a hard time making the commitment for anything smaller than a supporting role-mostly because it's so much easier for me to rationalize flaking off when I'm in the ensemble and I HATE flakes. So in order to avoid being a hypocrite I hold out for the larger roles I am willing to make the time commitment to.

Although I feel I'm completely justified in checking "no" or writing in "MAYBE-depends on role-NO ensemble" next to the "will you accept another role?" box on the audition form I always feel like such a diva. I've even had people tell me they don't even CONSIDER actors who aren't willing to take anything the director is willing to cast them as. I've heard that some even go so far as black listing actors who turn down roles they aren't interested in. Whaaat?! You ask but then punish honesty? Don't you want your cast to WANT to be there? And if not, why do you even put that question on the form? That has always baffled me. How can being honest about what you're willing to commit to instantly brand you a diva who is going to be hard to work with? I am fabulous to work with, thank you very much!

Although some of my favorite roles have been smaller cameo appearances I would like to eventually be given the opportunity to play a leading role. I KNOW I can do it, I just need a director to see in me what I already know is there and THAT'S frustrating as hell-especially because I'm the world's WORST auditioner.

Which leads me to my other rule: I don't audition for shows I know I won't be cast in. Murray is doing the "Scarlett Pimpernel" this year. I have worked with Murray before and a lot of the people in Murray are so great to work with--one of them being my most favoritest accompanist Steve. We were talking a couple weeks ago and he told me I should audition. The problem with this is there is only one non-ensemble female part--it isn't the right fit for me--that and the fact I'm not this director's favorite--I'm well-liked but I'm not a favorite--I know whenever I audition for them I will never be considered for anything but bit roles. My friend made the suggestion to just come for the experience-although we know I wouldn't be truly considered for anything-and he would help me workshop my audition. My immediate thought was "why would I waste my time"? Because I am well-liked I would most likely be called back (pity or obligatory call backs piss me off more than the stupid audition form box), but then it's a weeknight AND a Saturday morning I would be spending for naught. Ok ok, it 's not for nothing--although I am comfortable in my talents and abilities I am the world's WORST auditioner. It would be nice to know what I can be doing to make a better first impression on these directors so I'm actually considered for the roles I want, not just pigeonholed into the slutty comic-relief roles.

I'm also hesitant to go anywhere else because over the last six months I have been given some wonderful opportunities with the Empress Theatre in Magna. I would like to see if there are more opportunities there for me in the near future and I can't do that if I'm committed to another show for someone else.  

I just find it funny that everywhere but Utah you are a diva if you say the things I've just said, whereas any where else directors and production crews appreciate you being honest in telling them exactly what you're willing to commit to.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Loved this post. As a new player to this 'game', I have been confused with this as well. But heck I am still at ensemble level, thanks to my crap auditions so I am not a 'diva', yet. P.s. go Utah. :/

S.R. Braddy said...

We had this exact conversation recently... But, yeah, I'm starting to be the same way.

Larissa said...

I allllways put "maybe" next to the willing to accept another role question.

You know what has really started wearing on me?

Auditioning for the same shows as those I love. Perhaps I'll blog about it:-) I just...it scares me knowing that several friends and I may have our hearts set on the same role. I don't want to be the one to break someone else's heart, but I also don't want to be the one to get my heart broken. Tough. Seeing you at "Damn Yankees" auditions was the first time I'd run into someone I knew and loved at an audition...but now that I know so many more people and we are all going crazy to get in a summer show...yeah...it's gonna happen. Stink.

And I didn't audition for Pimpernel for the same reason you didn't - I know I'm not right for the lead role, there is only one female role, so no need to waste my time and theirs.

*sigh* Why must we all love the stage so?

Most Happy Girl said...

I'm spent most of my community theater time on the pro teams (mostly doing music or props), so I'm a bit new to the auditioning and getting only ensemble roles. Having been on the other side of the audition table, I can tell you that favorites are a big, BIG thing in Utah community theater. If you are talented but have been labeled "hard to work with," you will not get cast unless you are buddy-buddy with someone in power. If they are even slightly unsure of how you are to work with, you'll be passed over. I've walked out of casting tables thinking "well, there goes that show" because of who the director ultimately casts.

We also have to consider that there are a ton of talented people in Utah who love to perform and will audition for everything. It makes the choices harder. For Man of LaMancha, Glen mentioned at callbacks that he had about five different ways he could cast the show and know that he would have a fabulous product. It's just when the part your really thought you had a shot at is given to someone who you know doesn't sing as well as you do that you start to wonder what you had stuck between your teeth at callbacks that no one was willing to tell you about.

miss kristen said...

Nancy--

I COMPLETELY agree with you. Casting tables in Utah is a lot of big egos who are big into playing favorites.

And I'm ok losing a part to someone who is more talented but it's hard to watch someone else poorly play a role I know I would have nailed. Been there, done that. :(

Gingerstar.kw said...

I once had an acting coach tell me that it's okay to get your feet wet being cast as an extra (or in this case ensemble) a few times, but after that if you keep doing it, you will always be cast as an extra. So I pretty much live by this philosophy as well.