Wednesday, June 29, 2011

breakin up is hard to do


No this picture is not relevant in any way, shape, or form.
I just thought it was funny.
 You meet through a friend. You're a bit worried, but they soon win you over with their charisma and wonderful personality. You begin to build a relationship based on trust with them, and it becomes more and more difficult to remember what your life was like without them in it.

Then things change. You don't know if you can continue the relationship--although you REALLY want to. It's not bad at all, just hard. It becomes even harder when distance is thrown into the mix. You know you have to break the news, but you just don't know how. You begin to wonder if you will ever find someone worthy enough to attempt to fill their shoes. Each day becomes more and more stressful, because you know the longer you put it off the harder it becomes to say what needs to be said. You have been a ball of stress for weeks because you just don't know how to break the news...


*   *   *   *   *


No I'm not talking about Mr. Wonderful and I. Don't worry, we are great. Better than great-we are SWELL...is swell better than great?

I'm talking about my hairdresser. She is wonderful and fabulous, has become a great friend, and about the only one I trust with my tresses. She is the reason so many envy my hair-I don't know what she does, but she's magic. I can't say enough nice things about her. I simply adore her. I have been seeing her for about two and a half years and I LOVE her. There's only one problem. She's expensive. Like $120 every eight weeks expensive. When I was working at Joe's I could justify the expense because it was all tip money. Even after I quit I made it work because I love her so much. Your hair is the ONLY thing you wear every day so it should look great, right?

Looking into buying a home has made me REALLY evaluate my budget and where I have placed my priorities. My fear of failing and/or being a failure ranks right up there with being alone, so I'm trying to trim as much fat off my spending as possible. I got the perfect out about a week ago when she emailed me to let me know she had left the salon I saw her at and was looking at other places. Instead of telling her 'good luck' I said she had my business as long as she wanted it-which is true-but right now it's just a stretch. I thought I might have a little time, but she emailed me a few days later and said she'd taken a job at a salon in Daybreak and she hoped to see me soon. (She used to be 10 minutes away from my house) Aw crap. Now I feel like a total tool. I want to keep seeing her, I LOVE her and trust her with my hair implicitly, I just can't afford her anymore.

How do you tell someone you've built a relationship with and come to love like family that it's just not working anymore? And most importantly, how do you find someone to replace excellence?

5 comments:

Larissa said...

I would say, "I am buying a house and can't afford regular hair appointments any longer. This is nothing personal, I have just come to that point in my life where I really need to buy a home and pinch pennies wherever possible."
Who knows, maybe she'll start giving you two-for-one's! :-)
Eeek, did I just give advice? Gross.
Is it sad that I was panicked you were going to say you were breaking up with the show? I always jump to the worst scenario I think.
Happy to see you tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yes, all those exclamations are warranted)

miss kristen said...

The thought of dropping HAS crossed my mind-more than once recently-but it would be very selfish of me to do so at the eleventh hour-so I'm sticking it out.

It just hasn't been as fun as I had hoped it would be.

Most Happy Girl said...

You had me worried...for about 5 seconds. I knew that you wouldn't be this coherent if you and Mr. Wonderful had split. Very funny.

Love you!

KColton said...

As a fellow hair stylist I'm curious what you pay $120 for...color retouch and haircut? hmmm, it is a bit steep but worth it if she gets it right.

I think it's cool you've stayed as long as you have. Just promise me you won't go to a super uber cheap place like great clips cause they will butcher your hair!! I got my hair butched at Fantastic Sams and I always will go to a nicer salon because of it. GOOD LUCK!

miss kristen said...

Karalee...$100 for a cut and color, plus a $20 tip.

No I learned my lesson about fantastic Sams and Great Clips a LONG time ago.