Tuesday, June 14, 2011

big blonde and beautiful

I love shows. Watching them, being in them, you name it, I love it. My favorite part is the costumes-especially when I get to wear them. The right costume can really make you feel the part you're playing as well as draw your audience into the world you're trying to create. I know you've all seen stage productions where the costumes didn't jive and you were distracted because of it. With that being said....


I HATE COSTUMES.

I hate even more when I have to find my own--no, I'm not a diva.
I will wear almost anything-as long as it fits into the following criteria:

I have to be able to wear a NORMAL bra. I don't want to go commando with the girls-and I'm pretty sure no one else wants me to, either.
In the event I have to change costumes I have to be able to get in and out of them relatively easy with little to no help.
I have to be able to MOVE the way the director wants me to. Besides wearing an uncomfortable costume is the pits.
I hate looking for them because:

Real women have curves.
Most of the time I love mine-until it's time
to do another show and end up feeling
like a fatty.
Nine times out of ten I'm in a show that isn't set in this century. That makes finding authentic-looking costume pieces rather difficult. Don't suggest thrift stores and DI. I ALWAYS strike out there-except last year. I got almost new tap shoes for $4.00. No joke.

I'm a curvy girl-but my curves aren't ordinary. Not many people have a 16-inch discrepancy between their bust and their waist (true story), so finding costumes that fit without making me look like a box is tough. Which leads me to reason three:

Costumes are EXPENSIVE! I have no problem contributing to my costume pieces because then I know it will actually fit-and I get to keep them after-but hot damn! I'm either paying through the nose purchasing "specialty" items or paying for it in my limited free time between rehearsals to make something.

For my latest show I need 50's era attire. Here's the catch-think Rizzo and Marty Maraschino-I am THE stereotypical bad girl-all my clothes have to look like I was poured into them-director's words-not mine.

Any comments on where to go to find possible costume ideas let me know. I've got a little less than a month so time is of the essence.

3 comments:

Gingerstar.kw said...

I'm not sure this will help, since most of the time theatres are on a budget. But you might try http://www.bettiepageclothing.com/

Gingerstar.kw said...

Or another thought, maybe try somewhere like Torrid, or other plus-sized clothing. I KNOW you are not plus-sized, but your bust is, so perhaps if you bought something to fit the girls, the costumer could then take it in in the waist and shoulders.

Steph said...

I would recommend asking the producer to meet you at the theater before a rehearsal one day to go through the costumes the theater already owns to see if there is something that would work for you. I know your producer and she is pretty nice!! I bet she would do that for you before you spend a ton of time looking for a costume to buy. That is what I would do!