Monday, October 10, 2011

it's a major award

Mr. Parker: [unveiling his major award] Would you look at that? Would you look at THAT?
Mother: What is it?
Mr. Parker: It's a leg!
Mother: But what is it?
Mr. Parker: Well, it's... A leg, you know, like a statue.
Mother: Statue?
Mr. Parker: Yeah, statue.
Ralphie: Yeah, statue.
Mother: Ralphie!
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] My mother was trying to insinuate herself between us and the statue.  Parker: Holy smokes. Do... Do you know what this is? This is... A lamp!
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] It was indeed a lamp.
Mr. Parker: Isn't that great? What a great lamp.
Mother: I don't know...
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] The old man's eyes boggled...
Mr. Parker: Oh WOW!
 
Well folks, we're only 10 days into the month of October, but the battle of the leg lamp has officially begun.
For those of you who don't know my favorite Christmas movie is 'A Christmas Story'. If you aren't familiar don't tell me, just go here.
 
Six Christmases ago my parents bestowed upon me the greatest gift ever-they built me a leg lamp-complete with 'FRAGILE' (frag-ee-lay) crate. I love it, Mr. Wonderful hates it. Every year around this time he starts to gripe about it-how it's the ugliest thing he's ever seen, usually as melodramatically as possible. Although it always begins in jest it usually ends in the silent treatment.
 
It's a losing battle for us; I will never get rid of it and he will never like it. I just wonder if we argue about it this much now-what will it be like once we're married? (No, that's not an announcement.) Mr. Wonderful and I agree/can come to a compromise on everything else-except this. To me it's not Christmas unless the leg lamp is in the window and Mr. Wonderful claims his is ruined if it's up. Who knew something so silly and fun could bring out such passion? I now have a better understanding of the tension between Mother and The Old Man because of it.
 


What say ye? Do any of you married folks have things you brought into the marriage that the spouse HATES? Did they bring something you hate? I'm pretty sure Mr. Wonderful and I will have to agree to disagree on this one-he'll make sure the tree is gorgeous, and I'll make sure the lamp where it should be...right next to the tree in all its glory...
 

 

10 comments:

Larissa said...

I think he would rather see YOUR leg with stockings up-to-there;-)
You need to come to my "A Christmas Story" party this year and bring it!!!

Miss Megan said...

Your parents BUILT that lamp? That's awesome! Could you come to a compromise, and put it someplace else in the house? Like maybe a little further from the tree? I'd hate for you to have to get rid of it when the lamp makes you so happy!

(I must agree with Larissa that Mr. Wonderful might feel less annoyed with the lamp if he saw YOUR legs in similar stockings...)

Miss Megan said...

Or, what if one time you tried a different kind of stocking -- a Christmassier stocking? And then you wore the other one... ;-)

Becca said...

Andrew bought our house before we got married, and when I moved in there was a stump bear proudly perched on the kitchen counter. There were also many other bear things strewn throughout the house. And we can't forget the OUTDOOR trash can in the laundry room, in place of a kitchen trash can, but that was pure bachelor. The bear thing was something with his mom - she used to give him bears all the time. The stump bear is gone - given away in fact - and the rest of the bears are in storage. (What can I say? I'm the girl, and it's sort of my domain, right?) Some day when we're rich (I'm guessing this will be AFTER Andrew finds a job,) Andrew will have his very own man-cave and it can be all woodsy and bear'ish. Until then, the bears are in hibernation.

Good stump bear examples:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/83402969/chainsaw-carved-bear?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=carved+bear&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

http://www.etsy.com/listing/83322006/carved-wood-bear?ref=sr_gallery_15&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=carved+bear&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

PS - I LOVE the lamp, and I love A Christmas Story. My kids love the movie too, which makes me proud. (Also, I am hugely impressed that your parents made that lamp for you. Coolest parents ever, I'm sure.)

miss kristen said...

Yes, yes, my parents built it-well my mom did the lamp and my dad built the crate.

I'm pretty sure a new stocking won't change his hatred of my lamp. It's engrained in his being.

Doubtful. I've seen my legs...not that great. But thanks ladies.

Phew Becca, I'm glad I'm not the only one-although you cleaned house with Andrew!

miss kristen said...

And Riss, if it wasn't such a bear to move anywhere-this thing is actual movie size-I would TOTALLY bring it to your party!!

Larissa said...

I want one for my party SOOOO bad. I'm thinking of so many delicious pictures. But did you know those things cost $200-$250 each? OUCH!

Larissa said...

And...your legs are HOT.

miss kristen said...

Yep. Hence why they built it. I can talk to them if you're interested...

No they aren't. They're skinny. And bird-like.

miss kristen said...

And maybe I'll build up the initiative to pack it into my car...only because I love you Riss...