Thursday, October 06, 2011

i'd tap that

I've had a fascination with tap for as long as I can remember. My Grammy V would make us tapes with movies recorded off of cable for our birthdays (wow I just dated myself there...), movies like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the Glass Bottom Boat, Pillow Talk, Katy the Caterpillar, and my personal favorite, the Shirley Temple movies.

Captain January

I remember watching these movies and wanting to dance like her-I may have even fast forwarded to the dance scenes...as I got older I remember being so jealous that my neighbors across the street were cloggers-I realize it wasn't tap, but it was close enough. I would put on my Sunday shoes and 'tap' on the kitchen floor. When I was a teenager I became mesmerized with the dance troupe Stomp!-yes I know they use percussion primarily, but watch the dancing. There is a LOT of tap influence there. I read an article in TV Guide and thought it was so cool that Nana Visitor-Major Kira for those not in the know-is also a tap dancer. I still watch biographies on Fred Astaire completely captivated. Hearing taps on a dance floor has always made me happy and has always been one of my most favorite sounds in the world.

Last year after a lifetime of wishing it was me, I finally decided it was time to make it happen. Using a referral from a friend the Bestie and I found and enrolled in a beginner tap class. It was horrible. The teacher was brilliant, but cold. She had trained with some very prestigious tap dancers-Gregory Hines being the one I remember best, and because of this she took herself far too seriously. Bestie and I were beginners so she was easily frustrated with us and our trying to learn AND have fun. Instead of helping us learn she focused on the more advanced dancers in the class leaving us to our own devices. We stopped going after that first month.

I was heartbroken. I wanted nothing more than to learn to tap and it wasn't as fun as I had expected it to be. I put hid my taps in the closet and wondered if I would ever find someone willing to teach me and let me take it seriously enough to learn, but lightly enough to enjoy it.

Then this summer I was in 'All Shook Up'. Our choreographer owns her own studio and I learned she would be offering an adult tap class in the fall, and our music director was the teacher! If any of you saw the show Patti choreographed the tap number in 'Blue Suede Shoes'-and most if not all of those guys had never tapped a day in their life. When she was done with them they looked UH-MAZING!! I was so jealous I wasn't in that number.

I started TLC tap in August and the last four weeks have been the best. experience. ever. I still have a long way to go and lots to learn, but I love it more and more with each class. Patti is a gifted dancer and a wonderful teacher-she will break a step down as much as you need it and wants you to succeed. We work hard, but we have the best time. It's awesome. I leave class each week sweaty and tired but as happy as can be. I can't wait to get better and be able to show people what I've learned. I can't say enough good things about Patti, the people in the class, and TLC dancers-check it out. They are RAD, and I have found something that makes me as happy as singing. Almost.


Sadly I have to take a little break so I can embark on my next big adventure-rehearsals for Heritage Carolers starts this week and rehearsal conflicts with class-but I WILL be back. I am considering taking Stephanie's advice and taking another class during the week to stay in the habit--it all depends on how full my plate gets once rehearsals are in full swing. Oh! Speaking of swing Mr Wonderful bought me six weeks of swing lessons for my birthday so we might just do that. Yes he's willingly offering to take a couple's dance class with me. And then taking me dancing once we learn how. Be jealous. Be very very jealous.


3 comments:

S.R. Braddy said...

Yeah for learning new things as an adult!

Stephanie said...

Sooo glad you're enjoying the experience!

Larissa said...

I WANT!!!!

Do they have an intermediate level tap class? I suppose if I wait a lil, you'll all be intermediate too!

And I LOVE that Mr. Wonderful is doing swing with you! Oh my gosh I have always dreamed of doing this with my sweetie pie! I love to use exclamation points! I've actually just always wanted to keep up on some kind of ballroom-esque dance, so when Dennis mentioned Salsa, I was in. I don't care what it is! We are loving our experience three weeks in, three more to go!