Saturday, October 15, 2011

the best is yet to come

Today is Mr. Wonderful and I’s anniversary. I always feel odd saying that. Why, you may ask? Well the answer is three-fold.

1. We started dating in July ‘07, but we didn’t decide to make it exclusive until that October. I say we started dating July, he says it doesn't count because we weren't officially a couple until October, so it can get confusing.

2. We’re not married, so I always feel a little odd celebrating the fact we’re committed but not committed in the bonds of matrimony...

3. We’ve been together for four years and still aren’t married. Although that’s not unusual outside of Utah, it is here-the state of child brides and marriages after knowing each other two weeks. Around the two-year mark I started getting the well-meaning but does-nothing-but-come-off-as-condescending-and-judgemental comments like: “why do you stay with him?”, “you should tell him it’s time to shit or get off the pot.”, and my personal favorite, “may I ask why you’re not married yet?” Which seems innocent enough, but is a cloak-and-dagger attempt to get me to spill, which usually ends up with them giving me “advice” wrapped in a heavy dose of judgment. Ugh. Suffice it to say it is NOT a matter of "IF", but "WHEN". Our ducks just need to be in a row first.
I digress. This post is about Mr. Wonderful, not the stupid mc stupids and their hurtful well-meaning comments.  

So here for your reading enjoyment is a few of the reasons I love Mr. Wonderful so.

-He willingly-and patiently puts up with me and my hot-headedness on a daily basis.
-He’s SO handsome.
-He can play ‘Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon’ with ANY actor-case in point: His brother in law tried to stump him with Charlie Chaplin. He had to use IMDB to get started, but he did it.
-He is patient.
-It took him a year to decide to buy his "big ass tv"-he doesn't take making big decisions lightly.
-He plays with me (not THAT kind of playing, get your mind out of the gutter!)
-He makes me laugh and we laugh together every day.

-He is full of surprises-I never cease to be amazed by him.
-He is an awesome cuddler.
-He loves my family ALMOST as much as they love him, and there was no awkward time with them. He has been a member of my family since the second he met them.
-He is a good teacher.
-He is SO smart.
-He is not afraid or ashamed to be himself. Because of this I'm not afraid to be myself either.
-He is a big kid in a grown-up's body.

-He brings out the best in me.
-He is patient.
-He is kind.
-He is thoughtful and considerate of others.
-He tells and shows me every day how much he loves me.
-He makes me want to be a better person.
-He got me interested in gems like 'The Walking Dead', 'Being Human', 'Supernatural', 'Avatar', and The Dresden Files books.
-He can quote ‘Ghostbusters’ verbatim-which is fun until you try to watch the re-release in the theater, then it’s obnoxious. Adorable, but obnoxious.

-Chivalry is not dead with him. He is always opening my doors, making sure I’m happy and taken care of, and he always puts himself between me and any potential danger.
-He gives the best back rubs. (I’m a trained Massage Therapist so I know.)
-He has seen me at my best and my worst. Not only does he still love me, but he also still thinks I’m beautiful.
-Speaking of beauty he tells me every day how beautiful I am.

-He is a Marvel nerd-and it is adorable.
-Kids LOVE him, and he doesn't mind when they use him as a human jungle gym.
-I know he'll be a great dad. Firm but fair.
-The longer we are together the more I love him. We just get better and better as a couple-cheesy, but true.
-He knows how to fight fair, is willing to compromise, and he’ll admit when he’s wrong and apologize.
-He has the best voice. It is calming and comforting, and just nice to hear.
-He grounds me. Just seeing him is enough to make a bad day better.
-He isn't afraid to call me on my crap-and he's never a jerk about it.
-He never says ‘I’ or ‘me’. It’s always ‘we’ and ‘us’.
-He is respectful. Not only to me, but to others as well.
-He loves the Gospel and is a good example to everyone-especially me.
-He humors my Disneyland obsession.
Don't be fooled. He only looks miserable because he was.
First vacation in seven years and he got the swine flu. Go figure.
-He is supportive of me in everything I do-even if he doesn't get it ie my love of theatre.
-He is the one who encouraged me to start taking tap again and every week he asks me to show him what I learned. He thinks it's great-even if I have to start over three times. :)
-He is my best friend and my rock. I couldn’t ask for a better man.
-Aaaand just when I thought he couldn't amaze me more, he had these delivered to me at work yesterday...
Yes they're delicious, and no I'm not sharing!

The longer I sit here the longer this list gets, so I'll wrap it up. Suffice it to say I am truly truly blessed with the best man. We have had our ups and downs, and it hasn't been sunshine and roses every step of the way, but he is my best friend, my rock, and I couldn't ask for a better person to have along for the ride.
If this is just a glimmer of the future we have together-man oh man, what a lucky girl I am! The best is definitely yet to come!

1 comment:

S.R. Braddy said...

D'awww...

Seriously, though, good on you - both for recognizing what a good guy you've got, and for taking things at your own pace.