Thursday, April 05, 2012

giving up the good fight

So I need some input.

As most of you know I've been cast as Ruth in 'Blithe Spirit'. It's an undertaking to say the least. Well, last week I started making line flash cards (like I have for every other role I've played), and I'm wondering if I should give up the good fight and just study them from the book.

I know the flashcards seem juvenile, but it is a great tool for me, and I seem to learn quicker and retain better when I use them.

Here's the problem. I've been working on these buggers for over a week, and I'm only half-way through my script. Wouldn't be a problem if I didn't need to be off book two weeks from tomorrow. I'm not complaining; I know I signed up for this, but I'm also scared senseless I will be the weak link.

Should I finish making the cards or finish the scene I am working on and do my best to learn the rest from the script? Or do I finish what I started and risk falling further behind than I already am?

Each stack (Act) is over an inch...and I'm not even finished with Act II...

10 comments:

Larissa said...

I have never made cards. I highlight my lines in the book (as much as I can depending on if I have to turn it back in), then I cover the lines with my hand. I read the cue line and then try to remember from there...sneaking a peak if need be. Sometimes I only remember four words at a time. Granted, I've never had as many lines lines as Ruth unless you count song lines:-)

miss kristen said...

Yeah, I use my script as a crutch when I try it that way.

Larissa said...

Ah, yes, I can see that. I did that the first time and felt so naked when I finally let go of the script. So, now, I put the book down as soon as I think I'm anywhere near memorized. Sure, I call line occasionally, but I've shocked myself with how much I actually do remember.

S.R. Braddy said...

I don't make flash cards either. To me, it actually helps to study from the script because I can visualize the line position on the page. I can picture a page of the script and follow the conversation (more or less) from that visual.

Larissa said...

STEPHEN! I was going to write that SAME THING, but then I thought it was weird. I TOTALLY picture the script and where the line is on the page, and it helps me keep track of the whole conversation. We were SO MTB.

miss kristen said...

Would you two just start dating already?!

Miss Megan said...

I just realized I never responded to this and I am so sorry!

I'm the same as Larissa and Stephen -- I'm a visual person, so learning by rote from the script helps me. Also, for Earnest I taped myself reading my cues and lines so that I could put it on my iPod and listen (and pause or speak along) while driving to work or rehearsal. It's useful, especially since my script is so precise and freakishly wordy.

Isn't it ironic that when you have enough lines that you really NEED the flash cards, the flash cards become more of a burden than a help? Maybe you didn't need me to point that out.

Good luck, honey. You're in my prayers and I am so excited to come cheer for you! You are fantastic!

miss kristen said...

Update: I gave up the good fight and decided I had wasted enough time. My progress is painfully slow and Stephen never ceases to make me look like a Dunce because he's further along than me...

I WOULD record my part because it is a REALLY good idea, but my laptop died last week, so I only have a tape player to record, and no means to play it on...

So I'm just plugging along, trying not to stress and become completely overwhelmed...

Larissa said...

Recording is actually what I did for All Shook Up since I didn't have any time at rehearsal to memorize. I used my sound booth at work. I could sneak you in if you want - you'd just need to bring an SD card. Or you could take a trip to Meg's and use her recording stuff! It seriously helped to have that commute/workout time with the ipod to listen, although I do learn better reading from the script.

Larissa said...

You could borrow my laptop for a week no problems at all, but I don't have a recording headset.