Tuesday, March 01, 2011

if at first you don't succeed

Since I work where I work (local food distributor) I watch a lot of the Food Network. A LOT. This isn't a bad thing though. My cooking skills have grown exponentially which makes me (and mr. wonderful) quite happy.

Two weeks ago I watched an episode of Barefoot Contessa and she made macaroons. I am an AWESOME cook. I'm a so-so baker, but I want to be better. These looked SO easy, I LOVE a well-made macaroon, and I was channeling my inner baking diva so I thought I'd give it a go.

I purchased the ingredients (Sweetened condensed milk and sweetened coconut-not kidding) and waited for the weekend. Sunday afternoon rolled around and I got started. I followed the directions to the letter, but I noticed the SC milk was separating and pooling on the pan. I started to panic a little. I put two dozen cookies into the oven and this is what I got:


Yes that's water loosening the caramelized SC Milk on my pan...

The second tray was a complete loss...




I ate two--they were aight.

I decided I needed to not let this discourage me so I tried again this weekend in between sickness and tech rehearsal. This time they were a MONSTER success...so much so I even dipped them in chocolate: 

Definitely what they should have looked like the first time.

Chocolate covered goodness--SUCCESS!!
Yes this recipe is definitely a keeper. I rule.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

This is awesome! Lol. What did you do different the second time? I have never met a macaroon I actually liked, but yours are so pretty, I would have to give them a second chance!

Larissa said...

PS - your current sickness re-testifies of my theory that the Empress is an incubator for illnesses.