Monday, July 11, 2011

what i learned buying a house-looking sucks

Greetings readers. Hope your Monday hasn't been as craptastic as mine.

I've decided since I'm embarking on a new adventure I should document the good, bad, and the ugly so that those of you who choose to follow can have an idea of just what you're getting yourself into-unlike me. I'm TOTALLY starting to wonder what I'm getting myself into...

Saturday I went out with Radical Realtor to start the hunting process. We were armed with about eight listings we were going to try and see. 2.5 exhausting hours later this is what I have learned...

LOOKING SUCKS. No really. It does. Here's why:

-What looks GREAT on paper usually doesn't look so hot up close.
-Some homes that are listed as vacant...aren't.
-I have yet to find a house and a neighborhood I love. Although I'm hoping that will change, it seems I don't get to have my cake and eat it too.
-Some homeowners are just gross. Did you really leave garbage and all your junk in the house you want me to buy?
-As much as I like the area the old houses in Historic Midvale kinda creep me out...strike that-they REALLY creep me out. Especially when the basement looks like something out of the Blair Witch Project and it smells like hamsters. (I couldn't make this up if I tried.)
-I love dogs. What I don't love are big, scary pit bulls (don't start, my sister owns a pit bull and I love her, so I know not all pit bulls are bad. These pit bulls however were another story. I'm pretty sure they would have eaten me given the opportunity.) who try to eat my face. On the sidewalk. 200 feet away. No where near their 'territory'. The two foot extension to the top of the fence made from chicken wire made me feel oh-so-safe too.
-Whoever coined the phrase "location location location" was clearly looking for real estate. The adorable early 20-th century cottage with a deck and HUGE maple tree out front? Charming. The freeway "sound wall" (which does nothing to block the sound FYI) directly across the street? Not so much.
-You had better be prepared for the long haul. I'm an instant gratification girl. I can't find what I'm looking for in the store? I simply order it online. Too bad I can't order a house online. Someone should look into that...
-If I had $400k I would just buy this house in Herriman:


And that's what I've learned buying a house. So far...

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

I totally feel your pain. The closing process is pretty beastly too. You should look in my neighborhood. There are a few townhomes up for sale. It's called Tuscany Townhomes. About 70th S. and 48th W.

miss kristen said...

I thought about it, but that area is WAY too busy and I'm anti-HOA. I'm not spending 100k + for someone else to tell me what I can and can't do to my own property.

Aubrey said...

HOA is a pain, but it does mean that I never have to mow my lawn, shovel snow or worry about my roof. Plus, it covers water, sewage, and trash. And we have a pool...

Most Happy Girl said...

Love the multiple colors on your dream house. If you'd like, Mr. Perfect can hook you up with an architect, contractors, and people to build your dream house. All you'll need is the land, and probably more money than if you bought it already built.

Been there, done that. I feel your pain.

Glenn said...

i own a company called Nucazza that deals with Buyers pain and has figured out a better mousetrap. I love your story, i hear them all the time. Please keep going with this blog, good stuff. http://www.nucazza.com