Monday, July 18, 2011

ode to luna

This weekend I joined the masses and saw Harry Potter. Although I could ramble on forever about my love of the books and the movies, I'll spare you-except this. I LOVE how the theme of friendship became stronger throughout the series. Although Hermione will always be one of my favorite heroines, I grew to love one character more and more (possibly more than Hermione) throughout the series:
 
 


Luna Lovegood
 Luna in my opinion is one of the best written characters of the series. She is everything a true friend should be; loving, accepting, faithful, unconditional, and stalwart.

I recently re-read the series, and I grew to love and appreciate Luna even more. I wanted to smack Harry, Ron, and Hermione for not realizing what a wonderful friend they had in her sooner. She never doubted Harry when he said Lord Voldemort was back as well as showing just how brave and loyal she was in the Department of Mysteries--seriously who would have put themselves in harm's way to save someone they barely knew?

I was amazed at how after being held for months in the cellar of Malfoy Manor she was still her pleasant, optimistic self-I have a feeling she was the one to keep Ollivander and Griphook in good spirits throughout the ordeal.

Without Luna Harry would have never found the lost diadem of Rowena Ravenclaw-let alone made the connection that it could possibly be the Ravenclaw Horcrux he was searching for.
She was also the one who recognized Harry needed peace after the Battle of Hogwarts, and was willing to make a spectacle of herself to do so.
I like to think that by the end of the series Harry, Ron, and Hermione knew just how blessed they were to have Luna's friendship.
I'm not going to lie; I shed many a tear Saturday afternoon while I was watching the last Harry Potter. I know it sounds lame, but I'm having a harder time with this than I care to admit. I feel as if part of my family has died. There are very few things that have brought me as much happiness as Harry Potter, and I can't wait to share it with my children one day. I don't try to emulate many fictional people, but Luna is definitely someone we should strive to be more like.

Now if only I could convince Mr. Wonderful that Luna is a completely acceptable child's name...

Oh and if anyone wants to go see HP again, I'm TOTALLY game...

1 comment:

labrythyne said...

I was hoping I'd see peeps dressed up like her. But all I saw was a bunch of Slytherins. I had to break down and tell the guy that his Lucius look was not at all attractive. And don't get me started on the dead Dobbies running around, ew. Although a zombie Dobby would've been interesting to see.

Thinking about kid names, eh??? Well as of now, Ryan and I are debating which is a better name: Piper Maru or Kobayashi. We have very different tastes in names...