Thursday, July 07, 2011

top ten

Tuesday night I got suckered into a late-night, post rehearsal Village Inn run. This morning I got to thinking, and I realized have certain "tells" for when I'm doing a show. So now for your reading enjoyment here's my Musical Theatre Top Ten (in no particular order):


10. The term, "I can't that night, I have rehearsal" becomes a conversation staple.
9. You start to forget what your friends look like.
8. Anxiety sets in at the mere mention of "Tech Week".
7. You don't have time to wash your unders so instead you buy new ones.
6. The only thing that gets done around the house is feeding the pets-and that's only because you don't want to be responsible for the death of a living thing.
5. You begin to contemplate how you will maneuver the sweaty, speed of light costume changes. You also have no problem asking people to help you get undressed.
4. Your diet consists of anything you can get from a drive-up window.
3. You begin to shamelessly plug your show every opportunity you get. All Shook Up! Get the details here. (fun side note-I was told last night I'm so fun to watch---come see for yourself!)
2. You have mic tape residue on odd places on your body days after you thought you got it all off.
1. Walking into public places in full stage makeup and hair, and wearing clothes you wouldn't NORMALLY go out in-ie shorts, cami, button up shirt and fishnets--true story--and just laugh at the funny looks you get instead of being self-conscious.

Honorary Mention: You begin to dream the show and wake up with the music (particularly the trouble spots) stuck in your head.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

Ha ha ha - This is all SOOO TRUE! For me, especially the drive-up window part. You should see all the visits on my credit card statement!
My date on Saturday had mic tape residue on him. I am sure he thought I was trying to bust a move when I lightly touched the back of his neck, until I said, "Is that where you put your mic tape?" Ha!
I strip down to zilch the second I walk in my door at home and put stuff in the washer. By the time I am done showering and prepping for bed, time for the dryer, so they are all clean in the morning:-)

S.R. Braddy said...

I HATE picking mic tape residue off my face the day AFTER the show. Blasted stuff doesn't even come off with soap and water.

Miss Megan said...

I love this! I'm the girl who walks around at work with her hair in pin curls or sponge curlers -- lucky I can get away with that -- so #10 totally made me laugh!

I had a bunch of friends who taught theatre school a couple of years ago, and they were all given t-shirts that said "I can't... I have rehearsal" printed on them. I've wanted one for myself ever since :-)