Tuesday, September 06, 2011

is it convenient for you now?

Today I got an email from someone that I literally haven't spoken to in five years. FIVE. Normally these surprises are welcomed, but it was one of THOSE emails-you all know what I'm talking about, the "hey, we haven't been in the same room since 2005, let alone talked, but hey let's all get together like nothing has changed and I haven't been the self-absorbed, worst friend imaginable."

I understand friendship is a two-way street, and for the first few years I tried to keep up my end-emails, birthday wishes, Christmas cards with the annual update, very simple, but very easy to reciprocate usual-all to no avail. Then I just decided to stop being the one who cared. That's when something happened. I realized I didn't miss them. I didn't miss the way I managed to leave their presence feeling less than a person because I wasn't married and popping out babies. I didn't miss feeling that I needed to survive rather than enjoy their presence. I didn't miss putting on my fake smile and pretending I was OK with the fact that although I had managed to keep myself somewhat informed about what was going on in their lives they had no idea what was going on with mine-which is shocking because in case you haven't noticed I'm a pretty open book...

I'm just bugged. REALLY bugged by the fact that they are acting like we have all stayed these great friends all this time and we can just pick up where they decided to drop off. Yeah, THAT'S not happening. At least not for me. Nothing bothers me more as a single lady (put your hands up!) then when friends get married and start families they immediately become too "busy" associate with their single friends. It's more like they become too bothered.

I realize I'm letting this bother me WAY more than I should, but come on. If I was really that important to you in the first place you would MAKE time for me in your life-even if it's only a text on my birthday and a card at Christmas, right? It shouldn't matter if you're married, single, living across the country, or having a child every year. If someone is important to you you MAKE TIME for them, not just expect them to come running when you call. I know this because I have several people in my life who have kept me around after all the life-changing stuff and don't treat me like it's a burden or weird to have me around because we're in different stages of our lives. Just because I'm not where you are doesn't make me less of a person. I'm sick of people who are supposed to be my "friends" treating me like a leper.

ok, end of rant....



1 comment:

Miss Megan said...

My best friend from high school is this kind of friend. Anytime she finds a boyfriend/husband she drops off the face of the earth. She wouldn't return calls or even text messages. I finally deleted her phone number from my phone. I was too tired of doing all of the work and barely getting a response. You and I totally deserve better.