Wednesday, September 28, 2011

hallowthanksmas

I remember a time-eleven years to be exact-when I would get weird looks for telling people I was prepping my Halloween costume in August. I was Aurora that year-my mom made the pattern for my (blue) dress from scratch using the patterns for a wedding dress, a little kid's Disney Princess pattern, and her brain to make it work. Yes, my mom is that boss.

My my how things have changed. My friend Liss mentioned on Facebook this week she wanted to make a Halloween wreath. I commented that I would like to make one too-because in this age of zombies and gore it's next to impossible to find a cute, whimsical Halloween anything. We decided to go Tuesday after her class.

 Last night I walked into Michaels and was accosted with Christmas-call me crazy, but we haven't even killed the pumpkins yet-so why in the hell are we already counting down to Christmas?!?!! I am SO against celebrating the next holiday before the previous has past I have known to be bugged to the point of violence- my friend posted a Christmas countdown on FB the other day. She was promptly hidden after I told her how WRONG that was-and THAT was at someone I love. True story. I'm sorry. I digress.

What little Halloween stuff we could find behind the Christmas crap had either been picked clean through, was on 40% sale, or final clearance. An entire MONTH before Halloween. Great deals for me and my friend, but talk about putting the horse before the cart!

The lesson I learned is this: people are WAY too eager to get to Christmas, and waiting until September 27th to look for stuff to make a Halloween wreath may seem reasonable, but it is both unwise and like waiting until Christmas Eve to start your shopping. Looks like I was onto something eleven years ago and will need to start planning for Halloween in August--or better yet-July.

What happened to celebrating each holiday and enjoying what each had to offer? Now we just burn through them in eager anticipation of the next. It's sick I tell you, sick.

(I'm still in the market for a plain Halloween wreath that I can make pretty. I still have to try Hobby Lobby and Joann's, but if you see/know of anything, let me know.)

Apparently some ingenious person sells Hallowthanksmas cards and this is the site where I stole borrowed this creative artwork. http://hallowthanksmas.com/

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I was just at Hobby Lobby here and they have stuff to make wreathes for fall. The reason those stores have Christmas stuff out is so that crafters can get busy making stuff for all the craft fairs that are in the fall.

miss kristen said...

Thanks for the tip!

I'm just weird I guess-I don't start thinking about Christmas until November-but I don't do craft fairs either...

KColton said...

haha :) wow I would never have posted that status if I had known it would have caused such turmoil in your life. But it's just a reminder to me how quick the year has gone by. I actually don't really celebrate the holidays in general...I feel like I should have a house to decorate or a kid to dress up. hmmm, you've got me thinking now. I love how you are not afraid to say how you feel, it makes people stop and think.

I used to work at JoAnne's...worst job ever around the holidays btw...they bring out the Christmas stuff early to make a profit NOT to actually help the crafters out. It's all about the money.

the end.

love ya!

miss kristen said...

Oh Kar. I love you and only hid your feed for like a day.

Any sort of retail sucks at Christmas.