Friday, September 02, 2011

friday confession: hate

It’s Friday.

You know what that means.

Time for another confession.

Todays is heavier than the others so if you don’t read it I’ll understand.

Hatred is evil. Hatred makes my heart hurt.

I read in the news yesterday about a local man who was attacked by five people.

For being gay.

Gay. That’s pretty much the dumbest reason ever to hate someone.

There are people giving their lives so others can have freedom and these people are worried about what this man does behind closed doors. It's just so stupid, they are so stupid.

As if beating the tar out of him wasn’t enough they decided to curb him too. Who does that?!  It is so evil and brutal and requires so much hate that only someone with no soul could even contemplate doing it. Just hearing the word makes my stomach turn. Because of that I’m not going to elaborate further. I hope the people responsible are found and are punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I went and saw ‘The Help’ last night.

Although it is brilliant I couldn’t help but cry for those men and women.

I can’t imagine what it must be like to be treated differently for your skin color.

It’s not like they asked for it to be that way. 

Although I shed many tears last night I was also grateful I have parents who didn’t raise me to hate, but rather to love.

I can’t say it would have been the case had I grown up in another time or in another place.

I won’t lie.

That scares me.

So much that I try not to think about it.

I’m going to get on my soap box now, please teach your children how to love. Erasing the hate starts at HOME. You aren’t born with the ability to hate, you have to LEARN it. It doesn’t matter if they’re gay, straight, blue, pink, white, purple, atheist, Mormon, Catholic, Baptist, Hindu, Jewish, Agnostic, whatever. We are all someone’s child, parent, or sibling. It’s ok to not agree, but it’s NOT ok to hate.

Please stop the hate.

Did we not learn ANYTHING from the Sneeches?

 

2 comments:

KColton said...

Curbing is so evil! Some kids attacked a boy in my stake and he will never look or emotionally be the same.

I just read an interesting read called Kabul's Beauty School. It's about an American woman who runs a beauty school in Afghanistan! Some of the stuff is CRAZY! it made me question why such horrible stuff is allowed to happen to women. I'm so grateful for my life!

Becca said...

Love this post. You're so right. I hope that my children will understand that it's not our responsibility to judge others based on ANYTHING. Our place is to love everyone - that's what Christ does, and we try to emulate Him. Sadly, others still have this lesson to learn.