Monday, September 12, 2011

my favorite time of year

I don't know if you have felt it yet, but I have. That magical 'click' when the seasons change. Yes, I know it's still warm, and yes I know there's still the potential for it to still get hot, but there's no denying it. Autumn is just around the corner, and it's the best time of the year.

This weekend my parents were in town (hooray!) and we had a busy weekend filled with the State Fair-better people watching than Wal-mart-Jeff Foxworthy was SO right, eating awesome food at the Greek Festival (you missed out if you didn't go), and Mr. Wonderful and I drove up to Snowbird for some brats at Oktoberfest-it's still going on for three more weekends! Even if you don't drink beer it's worth the drive and lots for fun to just walk around. But don't forget a jacket like I did otherwise you'll be cold and miserable or pumping out $60 for a Snowbird sweatshirt like me. It was a busy weekend, but the best I've had in a LONG time.

I swear all the best things happen in Autumn-the State Fair, the Greek Festival, Oktoberfest, Halloween, Thanksgiving, the leaves change and it becomes cute clothes and boot weather, and most importantly--my birthday.

Yes folks in just two short days I will be 31. Don't ask me what I have planned, because it's not that big of a deal-besides I have no idea. Trying not to freak out about the milestones I thought I would have hit is probably top of my list, although I know it's ridiculous. The most I can say in my defense is I have ALWAYS been this way-ALWAYS been well aware and worried about how quickly time goes by. It's always worse around my birthday as that's when I usually stop long enough to take stock of my life.

Although it's hasn't always been easy and it isn't the path I would have chosen, I'm grateful for it nonetheless. It's made me who I am, and I wouldn't change THAT for anything in the world.

5 comments:

S.R. Braddy said...

I got a free ticket for the Greek Festival on Saturday... and then I spent $30 on food. Wasn't exactly the economy activity I'd hoped for, but MAN do I love souvlaki!

miss kristen said...

Stephen I SO know your pain there. I spent about that much on my food too.

Not at all cost effective, but worth EVERY penny.

Especially the dolmathes, lemon rice, and baklava. YUM!

Larissa said...

I only spent $15. Fatties:-)
Kristen, I must be a bad friend cause I have your birthday down in my planner as the 15th and two days from now would be the 14th, right?
*sigh*
I even decided not to do a show until January-ish or later (if I get checked out at the doc and my vocal pains are a-okay), so that I can enjoy this wonderful time of the year!

miss kristen said...

Thanks Riss.

*sigh* no you're not a bad friend. It's the 15. When I was writing this I was going to schedule it to post tomorrow but then didn't change it when I posted instead of scheduled.

That's why I'm glad I didn't get 'Music Man'. I would have had tech week this week-sucky.

Larissa said...

Hooooraaaaay for having this fabulous week free!
And I'd totally do a show if a director called me, but as a woman in Utah theater, we both know that's not gonna happen:-)