Monday, December 06, 2010

down with the sickness

So I have been sick. For a LONG TIME. Two weeks to be specific. I'm usually a pretty healthy person and I get sick MAYBE once a year, so the fact I've already been sick twice in as many months is a new (and obnoxious) trend. I'm pretty sure I can attribute this development to the petri dish otherwise known as community theater...Merry Christmas to me!


Normally I just wait it out but my patience is running VERY thin this time. After a week of my cough not letting up I went to the Dr. It turned out to be...drum roll please...BRONCHITIS. I've never had anything more serious than a cold and I've got bronchitis? (Turns out I may be genetically predispositioned since my dad gets it all the time...ugh) Normally it wouldn't be such a big deal except I have a cough from hell that has rendered me songless.
I never realized how much I needed singing in my life until I couldn't do it anymore. I have been quite the grouch as of late because I have no outlet. Everything I have tried helps, but it just isn't the same. I am now on day 16 of no song. The cough is letting up, and it can't come any faster. Aside from having no outlet I'm tired of being treated like the social leper-especially since the inversion has only made things worse. People don't care that you're under a doctor's care, on a monster dose of antibiotics, Codeine cough syrup, a daytime cough prescription, and exercising proper hygeine. All they see is you're contaminated, STAY HOME!! As much as I would like to, that's pretty much impossible.
Here's hoping the inversion and my cough clear out post haste. This sucks.

What's your outlet and how would you manage if it was abruptly taken away from you?

1 comment:

Most Happy Girl said...

I've had pneumonia and bronchitis, so I fully understand what you're going through. I hate it when I can't sing, or when I'm getting a cold and every time I try to hold out a long note or belt, I start coughing. Ugh!
Here’s my list of suggestions:
• I love to read. If someone's recommended a series to you, get the first one from the library and see if you like it.
• Start writing a short story or novel. Judging from your blog, you are a fabulous writer. Write every day.
• Stay away from facebook! It will suck away hours of your life that you will never get back!
• If you have a digital camera, take pictures. Of everything and anything. Digital is cheap, and you’ll be amazed at what your eye will catch and what the camera will catch that your eye didn’t.
• If you sew, make something. A skirt, a pillow. Something easy.
• Make Christmas treats for family, friends, and neighbors. (I just try to not keep too much of it around me.)
Good luck with the recovery. I hate to tell you this, but it took 8 months for my cough to go away completely when I had pneumonia. Bronchitis is not as bad.