Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Get your house in order...



So lately I have been daydreaming of my childhood and thinking how great I had it and how much I took it for granted. You never realize how great it is being a kid until you're a grown-up wishing for those days long gone by. Especially when it comes time to pay bills.
Now, I have heeded the Prophet's advice-I have no unnecessary or consumer debt, and for a 28-year old single girl, I think I'm doing an ok job of not living beyond my means. Sure I have an occasional slip-up, but who doesn't?
Well now I'm really starting to stress. I've made the decision to start school in January, and needless to say I am mortified. I've always been a good student, so I'm not afraid of that aspect. I'm afraid of the debt I will incur. Especially in a volatile economy like the one we're in now where even people with damned near perfect credit aren't qualifying for AUTO LOANS!! I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances for these instances, but it's still scary.
I'm sure that I'm just having these second thoughts because I'm facing a lot of HUGE life changes in the coming months-starting school, acquiring a new roommate (and therefore putting my trust in them to not stick me with ALL the monthly bills), and I'm FINALLY getting out of a long-term situation that was only intended to be a temporary one. Basically just I'm just working on being more self-sufficient. As exciting as this all can be-whenever I think about it, I give myself a small panic attack. Yes, I have savings, yes I'm trying to have some semblance of a plan, but this fear is crippling. I know these are all things I should be doing, and rites of passage everyone experiences sooner or later, but I'm still scared. I even had the thought of postponing school AGAIN--for no good reason this time!!
I know if you wait for the perfect time you'll be waiting forever, but I'm human. I think like one. I was so grateful to be able to listen to Conference this weekend, because that point was hammered home for me. I especially appreciated President Monson's talk on Sunday morning-granted, I know this wasn't specifically what he was referring to, but I appreciated it nonetheless. Aside from the fact he loves him his musicals-YAY! I loved how he stated (I'm paraphrasing here because the transcripts aren't available yet for me to correctly quote)-that if we wait for the day when we're richer, or smarter, or more prepared we will be waiting forever because that day will never come. He went on to quote Professor Harold Hill from "The Music Man"-one of my favorites btw-"Pile up too many tomorrows and you'll find that you've collected nothing but a bunch of empty yesterdays."
I know I shouldn't wait. Because all I've been doing all this time is waiting. And what do I have to show for it? Nothing. However, this knowledge doesn't make change any less scary. So I guess more than anything I know what I need to do, I'm just scared to take that initial leap. I know Heavenly Father will bless me as long as I'm making worthwile pursuits and doing what I should. But that initial step is a scary one. I just need to have the faith. Ugh. So in a very un-Kristen like move, I'm asking for help. If you can make time to include me in your prayers so that I will have the faith and courage to embark on this huge undertaking, I would appreciate it. Thanks muchly, and peace out. :)

2 comments:

Michael said...

Financial Aid baby! Which school are you going to?

Miss Kim said...

Tag!
you know the drill. Go to my blog and copy and paste the "tagged" post into your blog! Fill it in with your answers, then tag three of your friends! Have fun!