Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The power of an apology

It's funny how something so small can do so much.

A couple months ago one of my co workers hit my parked car with a work truck, smashing in the driver's side door pretty impressively. Instead of renting a car, I jumped between two company vehicles, waited FOREVER while the company's insurance approved my claim, and waited for it to be fixed. All in all I was without my car for about a month.

I was angry, but it was more at the situation than anything. But I was also kinda bugged that the person who caused all this grief didn't seem to care he'd caused me all this trouble.

Well today this person needed my help, and since I'm trying to be the forgiving type and not hold grudges (which is SUPER hard, mind you)-I did. And guess what!? Out of the blue, he apologized, and told me he got into his truck that day six feet tall, but got out of it two inches tall. A sincere, swallow your pride apology! I was so grateful for this small act. By saying he was sorry I knew that he truly felt bad for the inconvenience he'd caused me.

So the moral of the story for me is that it's never too late to apologize. I thought I had gotten over it and moved on, but that small act completely made my day, and made me feel worthwile.

2 comments:

Pete and Sum said...

Hey Girl!! Hope you don't mind if I add you. Your blog is so cute! I miss you! How are things going? I'm glad you finally got your car back. I don't think I want to know who hit you =P

Michael said...

That is so true! It's so hard not to hold grudges especially when the other person acts like it wasn't a big deal or ignores you. Was it awkward working together?