Thursday, November 10, 2011

burning the candle at both ends

I either did the coolest-or dumbest thing ever...
I know you're all thinking that's not possible, but believe me friends. It is. It really is.

Monday while I was at caroler rehearsal I received a text from my good friend Don Quixote that read:

"Are you familiar with the musical 'The Spitfire Grill'"?

Not sure where this was headed I replied "I'm not, but I can be if you need me to be. What's up?"

Well, my friends it turns out that he is directing this show and would like me to play the role of Effie. I must admit I know very little about this show, and although it's been well-received everywhere there's not much information on the interwebs. My friend Piano Man assures me that this is a wonderful ensemble show and Effie is a role I would be stupid to pass up. A non-ensemble role that the director wants me for? Without an audition? I know I'm fiercely talented and I deliver when it counts, but I also know I am no good at auditioning. This makes earning the right to deliver on stage difficult. I've had a few close friends who have seen me audition confirm this to me too so I know it's not just my perception.

With that being said: of course I'm gonna do it!

Here comes the stupid part.

Rehearsals will start while I'm in the middle of Candlelight Christmas. This going right along with fitting in a post-Christmas jaunt to St George with Mr. Wonderful, my own Christmas celebrations, shopping, altering my caroler dress-oh I didn't mention that? Well for the first time EVER the damn thing is too big in the bodice and has to be taken in. Like TEN INCHES. I'm not joking. The thing is HUGE. Thank goodness I was born into a sewing family. Oh and did I also mention we're singing for the FIRST PRESIDENCY now too? Well we are. Oh, and I'm still a day late and a dollar short on my music. Ack.

Phew. Now that I'm looking at it, that's a lot-and I'm not even trying to fit in silly stuff like the gym, eating, or sleep. This is the first time I have been grateful Mr. Wonderful is now on swing shift at work-I don't have to feel guilty for neglecting him.

Don Quixote is wonderful and must really want me, because even with the uncertainty of my schedule he said we'll make it work. I'm excited...well excited and scared. Ok. Mostly scared that in my inability to say "no" I've bitten off more than I can chew and am now just waiting for it all to explode on me. But come on. I've gotta do it, right? RIGHT? I'm not complaining, I promise. I'm just not sure how this all happened to me. This sort of thing never happens to people like me. I'm the one who's looking for things to do, not how to make them all fit. I'm awed and flattered and have had my ego sufficiently stroked-all at once.

We shall see if it's epic or just an epic fail.

3 comments:

one crazy girl said...

I'm so excited for you and _Spitfire Grill_. It's a really good show. You'll be fabulous! And I will be there cheering you on!

Boo ya!

Gingerstar.kw said...

That's AMAZING!!! Congrats!

Nick said...

? I have never heard of this musical... well, if he contacted you and picked you without an audition... way to go Girl!!

Annie