Thursday, December 08, 2011

kristen's kitchen:trainwreck omelette

Hello dear readers. It is I. No, I didn't fall off the face of the earth. You would think that once I started Caroling I would have loads of stories to tell. Nope. I'm very very boring. Maybe once I'm there all week (that starts TONIGHT btw) I'll have stories to tell. Today I just have a recipe to share.
After my parents moved to St George I moved in with my Aunt Joan and Uncle Brad. My Uncle Brad (the Bradster) created a dish called the Trainwreck Omelette. It's fast, easy, and delish. You can add whatever you want to it, and there's really no measurements. You just have to feel it out. This round I made WAY too much, so I adjusted it before I posted here. Hopefully I got the quantities worked out so this will serve one-depending on how hungry you are.  

Ingredients

9 Tater tots
1 large egg
Shredded cheese
Salt and pepper (to taste)


Nuke tater tots for 15-30 seconds to soften up a bit then place in skillet. Heat over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until they have a little color and are easily mashed with a potato masher.
Yes I know there's more than 9 tots in there. I told you I WAY over shot.

While tots are heating scramble eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper. If you are adding additional ingredients add them to the eggs. Grate desired amount of cheese. Set both aside.

When tots are heated through gently mash until they are broken apart. Add salt and pepper, turn heat to medium high and finish heating through and are lightly crisp. (They'll stick/clump together so you may need to flip like a pancake.)


Turn heat to medium medium-low and pour beat eggs over tots. Gently stir to incorporate but be sure tots and eggs are even to ensure even cooking. Once eggs start to set turn heat to low and cover to cook the top of the eggs. You can flip it instead if you want, but I'm not coordinated enough to do it without ruining it.

* NOTE* Make sure all your prep is done BEFORE you pour the eggs. This round was way over-cooked  because I was trying to watch them and grate cheese...well that and I may or may not have forgotten to turn down my stove.


Once eggs are cooked, sprinkle with grated cheese, turn off heat, and place lid back on pan. The residual heat will melt the cheese.

Once cheese is melted serve immediately. I like mine with avocado, cholula, and a cottage cheese pear side, but you can do whatev. Enjoy!


Mr. Wonderful works swing now, so I will give you a rating of delish! It's super versatile and you can add whatever you want...if you do let me know how it works out! I'm thinking next time I'll try some spinach and mushrooms. The tricky part is mastering the measurements for the size of group you're making.

No comments: