Friday, February 18, 2011

the last word

I had an experience this week that got me thinking. Why do we ALWAYS have to have the last word? I also find the more passionate the situation/people, the harder they try to score that last, doozy, hit you right to the core comment.
WHY?

I must admit although I'm not ashamed of my passion, I am ashamed that it ruffles my feathers as much as it does when I DON'T get the last word in--especially in an argument, and ESPECIALLY in this particular situation because it was completely pointless and stupid that I even let this person (who isn't worth my time) get to me like they did.

Spare me the "it's not very Christ-like Kristen", or "do you have any idea how childish that really is?", or "what would your MOTHER say?!" Yes, I KNOW it's not at all Christ-like, I KNOOOOW that it's ridiculously childish, and I know my mom would give me that disappointed look that breaks my heart. (BTW-do they pull you aside in the hospital and teach you that look? Every mother I know has one.)

I KNOW all these things just like I KNOW cakebites and Coke (the drink, not the drug) aren't good for me, yet I willingly seek them out because they make me feel good.
Good thing I have Mr. Wonderful here to remind me the last word isn't as important as I've led myself to believe.

But it sure feels great to get that last, awesome comment in and just watch them stammer as you walk away in triumph.


Does that make me a bad person?

2 comments:

Larissa said...

You bad, bad girl;-)
I would expect nothing less from you than a witty, to-the-point, last-word comment. Cause you roll like that.

Most Happy Girl said...

I get sucked into that all the time with Mr. Perfect's ex. But as nice as it feels at the time, revenge is not a dish best served cold. It's a dish best left in the serving dish or not even put on the table. I never really feel good about the zingers I've been able to get off.

And it usually denigrates into a games of who can get the other person back the best and last (think of the conflict in the Middle East: no one really knows who started it all, but by heaven, each side is determined to be the final victor). Better to just look at them sadly and walk away without saying anything. And there's nothing they can do about it.