Monday, November 15, 2010

christmas trees and leg lamps

Last week I bought my Christmas tree—before you judge me for doing it so far in advance--I’ve gotta tell you it’s fake, it will NOT be put up until after Thanksgiving, this being my first Christmas in my new place I needed one, AND it was originally $200 but I got it for $50, so there.
Because it will be going up in a little over a week I haven’t bothered to make room for it in my storage space. Instead I have opted to leave the box where it will be put up to get me used to the idea. Last night Mr. Wonderful and I were watching our new favorite show when I saw the glimmer in his eye. Those of you who have seen “A Christmas Story” know the glimmer I am referring to. Those who don’t it’s the glimmer the old man gets in his eye about a week before Christmas thinking about the turkey he would soon be partaking. This man loves Christmas more than he loves me I’m sure. He’s the type who starts listening to Christmas music November 1, would keep the lights up year round if he could, looks for any reason to celebrate Christmas early, and calls me a Grinch because I believe there’s a time and place for Christmas. Because of this I had been waiting for him to make up a reason for me to put my tree up a whole week and a half early. I braced myself for the inevitable.

He then looked at me and sweetly said, “We should take that out of the box so we can see what it looks like.” Being as I know my sweetheart all too well I saw right through his tactic and replied: “once it comes out of the box it’s staying out until January 2.” Upon hearing this he got a twinkle in his eye and a sneaky grin on his face. In my attempt to dissuade him I had clearly given him the answer he was looking for. Once I saw the glimmer and his advance toward the box-the man is worse than my little brother was with presents growing up, I quickly added; “and if the tree comes out my leg lamp is right behind it.” You heard me right. A leg lamp. Cue the Hallelujah Chorus and heavenly beams.
That stopped him cold. Mr. Wonderful hates my little beauty almost as much as he hates the movie from which it originated. (Blasphemy-I KNOW!) He has had fantasies of having “accidents” with it since he learned of its existence-luckily for me it was a hand made gift from my parents and is protected from such a fate by sentimental value. During the course of our relationship many an argument has been had regarding this beauty-if we get married it will just get worse, I'm sure. He seems to think it’s an eyesore and has no place in the front window next to the tree. I say that’s what makes it funny-the fact it’s in the front room window next to the tree. Like Mom and The Old Man, we’re very much divided on what’s appropriate Christmas décor in the Newman-Fox households.

What say ye?

4 comments:

S.R. Braddy said...

Personally, I think that, by this point, this is as legitimate a Christmas decoration as statuettes of Frosty the Snowman. Plus, since you're obviously not interested in the erotic side of things, you get irony points.

Larissa said...

Oh goodness! I love this, love love love this!
I side with you all the way, little Fox.

Most Happy Girl said...

I agree with you: if the tree goes up early, so does the lamp. Plus, I love the movie and the idea that your parents made it for you. How cool is that?!?

Julie Carlile said...

That is hilarious! I am assuming that the tree didn't go up when he wanted it to. :) You are definitely already like a married couple. You two are adorable together.