Monday, September 13, 2010

patience

So as most of you know, I'm doing Damn Yankees at the Empress- you all need to come see it.

I have been fortunate to work with a talented director and choreographer, a wonderful tech crew, and a fabulous cast that I have become quite fond of--with one exception.

Now before you judge me, let me say this. I TRIED to like this person-I didn’t think they were half bad and possibly even interesting when I first met them. That was until we got down to the nitty gritty of rehearsing. Then The Mr. Hyde to their Dr. Jekyll was revealed.

This person always knew a “better” way for whatever they were being asked to do-blocking, lines, music, choreography, you name it, they fought it. They were incessantly complaining about everything-having to WORK while at rehearsal, having to learn choreography, or staying a few late nights to work things that needed polish. They have been rude to several of my mates for what seemed to be no reason other than to cause contention. They don't know how to keep quiet and unnecessary comments to themself. I'm pretty sure they just like the sound of their own voice. Needless to say this person is just downright unprofessional and really hard to get along with. After they approached me and asked why they were turning so many people off to them and I told them as nicely as I could things got a LITTLE better, but for me the damage had already been done. I don’t like them, and honestly find them a little—no, a lot abrasive. But I always try to be professional, so I just put on my fake mommy smile and wing it.

Well at some point last week this person took to calling me “hon”, as well as doing some other things (nothing inappropriate-just things that make me uncomfortable personally so I will refrain from posting here) that I don’t appreciate. I have attempted to be nice to this person but we are in no way shape or form friends. I am merely someone they came to looking for answers, and I gave them. Fast forward to Saturday night in the green room, and I was venting to a few cast mates about this when I was informed of some particular struggles this person has had to endure that is possibly part of the reason they are the way they are. CRAP. Immediately the guilt set in, because although I did not know this about them I haven’t been as patient or Christ-like as I should have been with them. Of course I have had Marjorie Pay Hinckley’s words running through my head since then: ‘Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.’ I know I should be patient with this person, even more so knowing what I know about them now, but how do I do it when they are just so ABRASIVE and such a Debbie Downer? Am I a bad person for being frustrated with them before I knew more about their background?

2 comments:

Larissa said...

I have a dear friend with a very similar background as this individual who has dealt with it entirely differently.
I, also, did some deep and guilty reflection this weekend. You know what it is for me? I don't mind being patient and all of that, but I'm afraid the person will want to be friends outside of the current situation and I don't have enough time for myself, let alone my friends I already know and love dearly. I am afraid this person will become dependent on me for more than I can give...and I just can't do that. That's why I've been running and avoiding. On top of the abrasiveness, of course. But his heart is in the right place...most of the time:-) Just know I'm with you girl!

Larissa said...

I found this quote - 'tis a good one.
“[P]atience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!”- Dieter F. Uchtdorf