Thursday, September 16, 2010

3-oh

So yesterday I turned...THIRTY. The big 3-0. I would be lying if I told you that I didn't freak out a little bit…ok A LOT. For me I have never dreaded getting older. I have never lied about my age-nor do I plan to, and I know that for the most part I have aged well because when I tell people how old I am I’m greeted with looks of disbelief because apparently I only look 25. For me it’s the milestones that I haven’t yet reached that make me cringe at turning 30.

Now I have always known that I was NEVER going to be the 19-year old Bride and the 22-year old mother of two with one on the way (no hate for those who were these things-it just wasn’t for me). I HAD hoped to be married and starting a family in my mid-to late twenties, and be finished having kids by the time I turned 32, but yeah THAT’S not happening. Those are the things I have a problem with. The mile stones that society, religion, family, or in most cases, self-imposed. So rather than sit and stew about being thirty I'm trying to love the fact that although I'm not where I WANT to be I'm where I NEED to be. So in honor of that here are thirty reasons it's great (or will be great) to be thirty:



1. There's a certain irresponsible stigma attached to twenty-somethings. I call it "the Real World Syndrome". This no longer applies to me.

2. Thanks to extensive viewing of 'What Not to Wear' my fashion sense has improved IMMENSELY.

3. I don't care now as much as I did at 20 what people think of me.

4. As a result of #3 I feel more comfortable in my skin.

5. I have my own 'big girl' place.

6. Although I'm 30 apparently I still only look 25...

7. I can say that I feel old without getting the looks I did before. (although they're still there.)

8. I can have twenty-something fun on a thirty-something budget.

9. It's not half bad being the cool favorite aunt.

10. I love being able to babysit my friend's kiddoes and not have to worry about my own.

11. My time is still my own.

12. wow, this is harder than I thought...

13. No more student loan/car/debt in general!

14. I WILL be getting married and starting a family in the next 1-5 years. (no this is NOT an announcement.)

15. I can be a 'responsible adult' and still act like a kid...

16. I'm left alone to make my own decisions without a lot of "I'm older and wiser, and I've been there so listen to me" bs.

17. I can now give the "older and wiser I've been there listen to me" shpiel.

18. It's the best of both worlds-I'm mature enough to be taken seriously, but I still have the energy to do the things I want.

Ok...another perk of being 30 is not having to finish lame self-imposed lists. :)
Happy birthday to me!

No comments: