Thursday, November 20, 2008

I look like WHO?

So in July I bought two pairs of new glasses. My old ones were five-plus years old and it was time to get an update. I got some super-cute frames, and didn't think much of it.

Then in August McCain had to go and announce Sarah Palin as his VP running-mate. Subsequently my world came crashing down.

It all started innocently enough. I'm very lucky; I'm only near-sighted. So I only have to wear my glasses while driving, watching TV or a movie, or if I want to see anything clearly that's more than 10 feet away, etc. I usually take them off and put them in my purse once I don't need them anymore, but this day was an exception. I wore them into the office, and my friend Jen looked at me and immediately says I look like Sarah Palin. I didn't really think much of it, because it was just one person's opinion-granted she told it to anyone she could; I was her personal freak show-"put your glasses on and show them, Kristen! You're gonna get a big kick out of this". The trouble didn't REALLY start until I decided to wear my glasses into Joes one night. That's where the fun REALLY began. I had THREE guests on separate occasions tell me I looked like Sarah Palin!! Thinking it was just the one pair in question I wore my purple frames instead last weekend hoping that I wouldn't have the same outcome. No such luck. I had an entire family say I looked like her! Now, I'm not complaining-much. I know there are worse people I could look like-President Bush or Martin Scorsese for example...but I liked being my own person-not to mention disappearing into obscurity was nice.
Plus she's not known for saying the brightest things--"I'm a Maverick" and "You can see Russia from my house"...I don't want to be associated with that! Oh well. Hopefully once Obama is inaugurated it will blow over so I can wear my glasses again and know I'm being complimented on them because I look cute in them; not because people think they make me look like someone else.
For those of you who need to see it with your own eyes, here you go. My co-worker insisted on taking this picture to send to her VERY liberal family back east for a giggle-ignore the hair, I know it's a mess. She made me pull it back because apparently I only REALLY look like her when it's back:

3 comments:

Miss Kim said...

ok, you have the same face shape, and the glasses are similar, but I cant really see it. I dont think you do.

Jenna Paulsen said...

I don't think you look like her either.

Loved the comment on Bush though!!! hahahaha! Which Jen was this? I'm assuming W.???

KColton said...

I'm sorry to say this but I think you look a lot like her! You could be her sister or something! Start telling people that and see what they do! haha :) It's good you have a sense of humor!