Wednesday, September 12, 2012

répondez s'il vous plaît

When did it become ok to NOT RSVP? Seriously, HUGE pet peeve of mine. I understand there is some confusion about it-I'll admit I'm guilty of not RSVP-ing when I know I won't be there (which I am trying to be better at), but I NEVER don't RSVP and then show up.

As a hostess it makes it hard to plan-especially when I have family in town that I wasn't planning on being here when I sent out invites so now I need add them as well as try and figure out what the final number will REALLY be...ugh. With all the technology we have it's so EASY now to say 'yes' or 'no'-and in a prompt manner. I don't need anything fancy, send me a frickin text for all I care. I don't know why I even bother.

I get people are busy, and things happen, but seriously. I shouldn't have to to baby sit you and bug you about RSVP-ing, we're all adults here. If you want to come say yes-and promptly-did you know Emily Post says you are obligated to respond in 2-3 days after receiving an invite? It's true. I sent these out a month ago and am still waiting for people, so now I get to make those obnoxious/embarrassing calls of "hey, I sent this out a month ago, now we're two days away, I need to give the restaurant a final number, are you coming or not?"

Seriously folks. RSVP to your host/ess and save them the pain of tracking everything down. They've got enough on their plate.


3 comments:

S.R. Braddy said...

Does saying "Going" on a Facebook invite count? Cuz I did that.

Larissa said...

Oh AMEN!!!
I don't understand what is so hard about pressing a button that says yes or no!
I mailed out 20 invitations (really adorable, pricey ones at that) for my lil sis's wedding even girls night AND created a Facebook evite and only 10 people RSVP'd, so she was calling everyone and e-mailing and it still took a week to get responses. It's not like this is some casual thing - it is a WEDDING. What the H?

miss kristen said...

That counts Stephen.

Riss-me either. Even when I try to make it as easy as possible people don't. Casual or not, any time there's food that needs to be planned for or a restaurant involved I want a heads up. Last year I threw a baby shower for a friend and HALF of the people who came didn't RSVP. Luckily we had enough food, but I was still bugged because I was stressing SO BAD. And I HATE just showing up at a restaurant without a head's up-especially if it's a big group. It's just rude.