Wednesday, September 26, 2012

advent

I have wanted an advent calendar for YEARS. My mother the sewing goddess made a reusable one 20+ years ago and it was always the highlight of Christmas. My siblings and I would always fight over whose turn it was to pull the lovingly hand-embroidered felt pieces each day (candy advents are for suckas.) :). I still ache a little each year knowing my mom is now in St George having all the fun!

Today I did some searching and after looking at scores of ideas-including an ADORABLE nativity one that I loved but worried it was just TOO ambitious-and found this:

Cute huh? Of course I'll tweak it a little and make it my own (mostly because there's no pattern so I'm doing it from scratch), but I also love the buttons--among other things.

Well, here goes. I'm headed to the fabric store tonight.We'll see in a week or so if I've bitten off more than I can chew, because the sewing gene definitely skipped a generation with me...

2 comments:

Heidi said...

My mom made a nativity one when I was little. Large, elaborate, and definitly not to be missed in December. Even the grandkids want to go to my mom's house just to put up the advent calendar. (She actually has four or five that all the kids turn over daily.)I'm tearing up just thinking about it. It is definitely a fond memory of mine to put up the velcro attatched embroidered felt each season. It was my childhood.

Thank you for the memory today.

Most Happy Girl said...

My grandmother made one from felt with hundreds of hand-sown sequins. My mom still has it and puts it up every year. A couple of years ago, my sister found some online, and they gave each family one for Christmas. We love it.